When you write a food blog and you do one of these super simple salads, I feel like it’s kind of cheating. It’s not worth a blog post to say, “get four vegetables and mix them with dressing – am I a genius or what?!?!” But when you put your salad in a bacon bowl, it’s definitely worth a blog post. It’s different! It’s exciting! This bacon bowl was, in every sense of the word, awesome. And it made eating a salad on a weeknight totally not sad.
So, if you happen to be making a bacon bowl this summer, I would highly recommend filling it with this salad. It’s summery, it’s adaptable, and it goes really, really well with bacon. Corn, avocado and tomatoes – It’s basically a gluten- and carb-free BLT. The feta cheese makes it good on it’s own, and the bacon takes it to another level. So enjoy bathing suit season with this totally non-fattening recipe; you won’t regret it.
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 diced avocado
1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
Juice from one lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper
6 strips of bacon for BACON BOWLS
- Make the bacon bowls according to the directions – mine took 30 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees.
- Mix the corn, tomatoes and feta cheese in a large bowl. Wait until the last possible minute to add the avocado.
- Once you add the avocado, add lemon juice immediately after so that the avocado doesn’t get brown from oxidization.
- Add the olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix everything well in the bowl.
- Put the salad in the bacon bowl and enjoy your salad more than you’ve ever enjoyed a salad in your life.